Thursday, March 5

Body World

In my computer science class the other day (the same class with the teacher who looks like Abby Schuito from NCIS), we got the chance to go to the labs and take a look at brains and cadavers if we so desired. I SO desired! When else would I get the chance to see real dead people/body parts? The brains were pretty cool. I couldn't stand the smell of the fluid they store them in though. It's crazy to think that I have one of those inside of me. Even though I really wanted to see the cadavers, I did not have enough time to. Apparently the cadaver room is very small and only 10-15 people can fit in there. Well, we had a lot of students who wanted to experience this and I was towards the back. Each group took about 10 minutes each. At 15 minutes till my next class, I knew there wouldn't be time for me. One group had JUST gone into the room and there was still another group to go in before I would get the chance, seriously I was way in the back. And I had to walk across campus and change for my PE class. I was so sad. Maybe another chance will come up.
Another cool thing I experienced in this class that day though was being exposed to Body World. The way "Abby look-alike" explained it, these people take real bodies and put them in a substance that dissolves certain parts of the body depending on what they want to preserve. For example, if they only want the nerves, the substance will destroy everything but nerves. The nerves are then coated with plaster to mold and then colored. The result is super creepy, but pretty cool looking as well. Some of their models are in really odd poses as well. Here are a few photos.

1 comment:

Julie McCoy said...

That would have been so interesting, I would have loved to go see that..