A couple weeks ago, Chris and Nicole stayed over after Impact (a college Bible study on Friday nights I try to go to) and we caught up. It was so great. I miss them when I don't see them, but it's when I am with them that I really realize how much I miss them. (Nicole in particular, but Chris as well) Anyway, before bed we had a small group devotion, quiet time thing. It was nice. I always do them alone but I really love reading through God's Word with others. I have been reading through the gospels lately but they both use Our Daily Bread to guide their times. Chris pulled his out and we read what was written for that day and the passage it told us to read which directly correlate with each other. I liked it.
The next day I was in Rialto picking up some carpet and other materials for the hotrod when I saw Our Daily Bread on the counter. I could take a copy for free. [I really liked this store by the way] So I did and I've been reading through it every morning now and I still read the gospels at night [usually].
Today's entry is titled "Create Your Own God." I really liked it alot. So much in fact that I'm going to write, ver batum, what it says:
Read: Psalm 146
"That they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You hae sent."--John 17:3
The Bible in one year: Deuteronomy 31-32 & Proverbs 30:10-20
I've built a bathroom. I've wired an addition to my house. I've finished an entire basement. I enjoy do-it-yourself projects--as long as there's a good hardware store nearby.
But some people take this do-it-yourself thing too far. They create their own God. A report in Newsweek magazine said a youth pastor asked his teens who they think God is. One said He was like his grandfather: 'He's there, but I never see him.' Another suggested He is 'an evil being who wants to punish me all the time.' The last teen concluded that everyone is right because that's what they really believe.
Do we decide who God is by taking a poll? Is He a being we can make up as we go along? This create-you-own-deity idea is increasingly popular today. And it is extremely dangerous. It robs us of knowing who our heavenly Father really is--as Scripture describes Him. He is, after all, the One 'who made heaven and earth' (Ps. 146:6) and 'the only true God' (John 17:3).
One historical confession of faith says: 'God is a spirit, infinite, eternal, and unchangeable in His being, wisdon, power, holiness, justice, and truth.' Examine the Scriptures. Find out who God really is and establish a relationship through Jesus. Then trust and obey the one true God.--Dave Branon
'The gods of this world are empty and vain, They cannot give peace to one's heart; The living and true One deserves all our love--From Him may we never depart.'--D. De Haan
The infinite God cannot be measured by finite man.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That was today's entry. It is so true too! I can't tell you how many people I've come across who think God is whoever you believe he is. Like each person has his own personal god, custom made just for you. That's all make believe and it doesn't make any sense. It's like relative truth: truth is whatever you believe it is. Well the truth is that 2+2=4 and you're wrong if you say it's 3. This is one reason people dispise Christians today: we are intolerant. I am open-minded to other religions and beliefs. I want to know if my world-view is wrong. If it is, I'll change it, because then it wouldn't be truth. I don't want to believe in something that is false. So of course, for as long as I know the truth, I will tell people the truth which means I am also telling them their belief system is false. If that's intolerance, then I'm intolerant. There is only one truth, people can't make up their own.

No comments:
Post a Comment