Sunday, April 4

Down in the Dumps

People have good days and people have bad days. My brother once told me that he understands I may have more bad days than most people. Thanks bro. I learned a few things about myself two years ago when I was in therapy. I couldn't understand why I would get so low so fast and how extreme my ups and downs were. I learned that my personality is constant ups and downs. Usually it is gradual but when I get stressed and/or emotional, the ups and downs become more extreme and I'm almost like two different people. That's just my personality. Knowing that has made me feel better a little and try to realize my shifts and deal with them better. I know I don't handle them very well all the time, but I try most days. At a low point, though, I do try to pull myself out. I reach out to others and try to get away and distract myself through doing something other than think about my problems. I just got had a conversation with someone who would much rather wallow in self pitty for months on end. I told him it'd been a few months and the pitty party is getting old so he should stop feeling sorry for himself-not in those words of course, but similar. He responded with "noone else will." Of course this is not true. I know people have reached out, including me. This is what I was doing tonight. There comes a time when have to get over it and move on but he'd rather feel sorry for himself forever and that's his choice to make and noone else's. There's no way to move on by sitting alone rejecting companionship and excitement. If someone reaches out to help pull you out of a dark pit, don't ignore the hand. Instead, reach out and grab it. You can't pull yourself out on your own so accept the help when it's offered.

1 comment:

unchewable said...

Always good when self reflection can help you help others :).