Sunday, October 19

Oh Politics

  • So it feels like this election has been going on for years now! Can we all just vote already?! I feel like this election is everywhere I go: school, work, church, home, coffee places. Can it just please end soon? I do have a few things to say about this election though. I feel like McCain is getting a raw deal because he's not a good public speaker. It's definitely a huge disadvantage to him that he's not a people/camera person and that his opponent is exactly the opposite as very charismatic and "eloquent" (as McCain put it during last week's final debate). I even see the effects in my Critical Thinking class. The point of the class is to be careful of logical fallacies in arguments. We've been discussing the debates and the behavior of the candidates during class and sometimes I feel like even my professor has been duped by the Barak Obama's charisma. When asked straight up who he felt won the last debate, my professor's response was similar to the following: "I think that John McCain came off as an attacker and was really rattled while Barak Obama seemed very calm and collected throughout the whole thing." The students accepted that response! That's a diversion people! He didn't answer the question! All he did was explain their demeanor during the debate. I don't think that necessarily reflects anybody's ability to lead a country and make wise decisions. I'm not gonna lie. I think McCain's a total lop when it comes to the public. He gets defensive and when he's upset, he shows it. He also says stupid things when he's rattled like, "he's pro-abortion"...that was idiotic! Obama also gets upset, but his demeanor hides most of it but if you pay attention to his words and not just his attitude, they're very powerful. He also avoids answering certain things (more than McCain) because it'd make him look bad. Like that question about how much the fine is for his healthcare plan. I also think people make a big deal over little things and keep referring to them because they run out of ammunition for the candidate they oppose. Like, "remember how McCain wouldn't even look at Obama during the first debate?" and "Obama associates with terrorists." Please people, let's get over that stuff, k.
  • The other day someone tried to tell me not to vote for McCain because he was old and has cancer and he's probably gonna die in the next four years and "do you really want inexperienced Sarah Palin as your President?" Seriously? But this guy also had no idea that Barak Obama's economic plan will most likely cost our nation more jobs that provide more jobs.
  • I don't see why we can't all step back and take an honest look at the two candidates and their platforms and make a wise informed decision about who will be the better leader of our country.

2 comments:

Kendrew said...

I agree, I am ready to vote already it's crazy. I also agree that if winning the presidential election was about who was a better speaker Obama would have won hands down but this isn't about who is a better speaker... it's about the issues. And although McCain speaks and often puts his foot in his mouth at least he answers the question. Obama often never seems to answer the question asked of him. I have issues with McCain, but my issues with Obama far outweigh my issues with McCain. November 4th let's hurry up here!

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way-- this whole election is driving me nuts. I feel even less informed now than I did before it started. Blah!