Wednesday, July 11

Jazz & Big Band

Last night my sister Katie and Missy and I met up with my grandparents at the Redlands Bowl. This is an outdoor amphitheatre in Redlands where they hold many different performances during the summer season for free (though there is a donation offering during intermission) under the night sky. It really is a great idea. Throughout my life I have seen the Sound of Music there twice, ballet, orchestra, River Dancing, and more recently Beauty and the Beast. There may have been another play or performance as well that I'm forgetting, but all of them have been amazing! I watched the River Dancing with my friend David (who at that time was trying to convince me to go out with him which was the only reason he went) and he didn't think he would like it. He just went because I was there. He came away loving it and wanting to do it himself! He's so funny! Last summer I watched Beauty and the Beast with the Walder Family, Christy, Chris, my mom and sis, and friend Heather who is obsessed with Beauty and the Beast. We didn't know how it would be because we had never seen or heard of this as a play but it far exceeded our expectations and we actually really wanted to see it again. Unfortunately Heather and I had to return to Ojai to work. So last night I talked my sister and Missy into coming with me to watch Jazz and Big Band which neither of them are that into, but I go swing dancing so I listen to it and have grown attached and love that whole era. The artists that performed were great! People even got up and danced on the floor in front. It was at this time that I realized I should have shared my knowledge of this event with boys that I know can swing dance so that I had a dance partner there and could actually go dance myself instead of watching everyone else. Anyways, as for the artists, there were Dick Parent & The Big Band All Stars. All the musicians in the band have at one time or another played with the great bands of yester-year, including the Dorseys, Benny Goodman, Harry James, and Freddy Martin, just to name a few. The new Chordettes also performed. They were interesting that's for sure. But my favorite was Herb Jeffries! He is truly a living legend of show business! And yesterday was his 96th birthday! He's such a sweet old man and I could see his genuine love and joy for what he does. I just wanted to share what an incredible night it was and if you would like to attend an evening at the Redlands Bowl, just let me know! Every Tuesday and Friday is a performance of some kind.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didn't we go once to see The Wizard of Oz? I remember this one because I think Katie Snell went with . . .

Rebecca said...

I know I didn't see that there. Maybe I was busy and Katie took my place.

Anonymous said...

People should read this.