Tuesday, May 12

Good Day

After a long day yesterday I was debating staying in bed today but since I could never bring myself to do that, I went to school anyway and I'm so glad I did. If there was ever a good day at school, today was the day. Upon the beginning of my first class, some people came in with caps and gowns and presented an invitation for Beta Gama Sigma-the highest honor one can achieve in business school. Only 150 students were voted to receive this invitation and I was one of them today. I also had to pick up my certificate of membership in the International Golden Key Honor Society today. Well, the professor then began her lecture after congratulations but we were interupted again by someone reminding the professor of a presentation or something we were supposed to go to. We all followed her to the events center where we then became part of the Career Success Summit 2009. We were able to meet and talk to many local business executives. There was a speaker then a panel that answered questions from the audience then we got FREE lunch while we talked to an employer at our tables more intimately. It was incredible. These people had a lot of insight into the business world and I had a unique opportunity to learn things today that most people learn the hard way. I actually took a lot of notes because the things they were saying were so right on and I knew they would be useful for me today and in the future. I think the networking lunch was the best part. The employer at my table actually helps businesses get the most for their money and optimize profits based on investment. Something like that anyway. He was awesome and offered his services and advice whenever needed. My next class is always fun and today's "lecture" was on conflict management. Perfect! He reminded us that work isn't everything and we need to keep our priorities straight. He used several country songs to prove his three points: 1. Don't Blink-Life goes by fast. There's no need to dwell on a problem of little consequence when there are more important things that matter. If conflict comes up, we have two choices: Let it pass and let it be part of your day or dwell on it and let it be part of your life. 2. Live Like You Were Dying-Live with the end in mind. If an issue isn't going to greatly affect your life in a few years, it's not that big a deal so move on. 3. So Small-"Sometimes that mountain you've been climbing is just a grain of sand." People blow things way out of proportion for unnecessary reasons. Keep things in perspective and realize what really needs attention and what isn't that big a deal. My next class was the same as always but the night ended well still because my last class was cancelled and I was able to go out to dinner with my friend that I haven't really seen in a while and I still had time to send my part of the presentation off to my group members for Thursday. Again, today was really something I needed. I learned A LOT and will be able to apply it to my life today and in the future. It's all relevant in life, not just in business. I was encouraged today and things were put into perspective and appear to me more clearly now.

No comments: