So I attended my first official opera tonight at the Redlands Bowl. Because admission is free, one might think it would be a pretty cheesey opera. Well, I wouldn't say it was cheesey at all. In fact, all of the performers and musicians were professionals (like most performers at the Bowl). Even though it was professionally done, however, I did not enjoy myself much. Upon arrival we recieved a program telling of all the performers as well as some of their credentials and a synopsis. We could have also picked up what I can only describe to you as a script in English. This thing was just very wierd to me and totally threw me off. If you know anything about Madama Butterfly or opera in general, you may know why. First I'll relay the synopsis which was in the program:
Time: 1899 Place: Nagasaki, Japan Act One
Pinkerton, a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy, has arranged with the marriage broker, Goro, to marry a 15-year-old girl, Butterfly (or Cio-Cio-San). By Japanese law, the groom is free to dissolve the marriage whenever he wants to, and though Pinkerton is clearly fascinated by his child-bride, it is obvious that he doesn't take the marriage seriously. He says as much to Sharpless, the American consul, who warns him that Butterfly is in earnest and tragedy may ensue. But Pinkerton pays no attention. When the brief ceremony is over, Butterfly's uncle, a Buddist priest, arrives in a fury, revealing that the girl has renounced her people's ancient faith and taken the white man's god. The family, horrified, desserts Butterfly. She weeps bitterly, but Pinkerton comforts her, and soon all is forgotten as the two express their love.
Act Two Scene One:
Pinkerton has been gone for three years. Everyone--even her haithful maid Suzuki--tells Butterfly that he has forsaken her, but she steadfastly insists that he will come back, as he promised, "when robins make their nest." Goro keeps urging her to marry his wealthy client, Prince Yamadori. And even Sharpless suggests that she accept this offer, since he knows that though Pinkerton is, in fact, coming back, he is bringing an American wife with him. Sharpless tries to prepare Butterfly for this blow, but before he can do so, she reveals that she has had a child by Pinkerton, and the consul leaves without delievering his message. The harbor cannon then announces the arrival of a ship. It is Pinkerton's the Abraham Lincoln. With Suzuki's help, Butterfly decorates the little house with flowers. Then, with Suzuki and with the child, Butterfly prepares to await Pinkerton's arrival.
Act Two Scene Two--Dawn:
Butterfly has waited all night. Suzuki persuades her to go and rest, and in her absence from the room, Pinkerton and Sharpless arrive. The break the news to Suzuki and try to enlist her help in persuading Butterfly to give up the child to Kate, Pinkerton's new wife, who has also come but is discreetly outside in the garden. Pinkerton then leaves: the memories of the house, his remorse are too much for him. Kate speaks with Suzuki, then goes out again. Butterfly enters and, horror-stricked, learns the truth. When Kate repeats her request, Butterfly answers that she will give the child to his father if Pinkerton will come back for him in an half hour. The visitors leave, and Butterfly kills herself. She dies just as Pinkerton rushes in, calling her name.
So that's the synopsis. That's the plot. After reading that, what's left really? You know exactly what's gonna happen. But without it, you'd have know idea what's going on unless you know Italian. I only caught about 10 English words in the first act (which we left right after). The wierdest thing about the language though (which was beautiful) was that it was being sung by Japanese and American characters. They were all singing/talking in Italian. Totally threw me off.
My mom repeated a few lines from Pretty Woman as we were leaving. "One thing about the opera is: you either love it or you hate it." Well, I think about 15% of the crowd hated it because they left when we did. I'm sure if we were closer or something, maybe we'd experience more of the "feeling" and "emotion" being emitted from the stage, but the grandparents went an hour and a half early and saved us seats 3 rows from the very back. :/ Anywayz, that was my opera experience which I'm actually really sad about because I thought I'd like it. I normally like things that may normally bore most people. It's a bummer, but I'm over it.
No comments:
Post a Comment