Thursday, May 8

Suicide

Today in one of my classes while waiting for the late professor to show up, I overheard a conversation in the back of the room. The speaker was talking so loudly that it was hard not to look back at him. I don't know what the entire conversation was about and I surely don't know the context of what I heard, but what I did hear, which was louder than anything else he said and spoken with such passion and almost disgust, really angered me. "Suicide" was the first word that caught my attention. Some of you may know that on April 21 one of my really good friends committed suicide. It tore me up. So one can understand why such a word would catch my attention so quickly. Another word I caught was "Christian." I am a Christian. What was this guy talking about? It was at this part that the speaker's volume began to grow louder and I caught several full sentences: "Why don't they just go commit suicide? They all need to just kill themselves, then they'll be better off! Then they'll be happy! If what they believe in is so wonderful, then every Christian should just commit suicide and go be with their God! Every single one, then they'll be happy and the world will be a better place without them!" He said more but I think he realized how volumous his voice had become and how much attention he was attracting to himself. He lowered it to a controled tone once again and I heard no more. Again, I don't know the context of this little speech but I was angry. Even if he was just recounting a story or lines from someone else's mouth, that isn't something to announce in a small classroom with 50 other people in close vacinity. I very nearly turned and asked him to explain the meaning of his words. I also very nearly turned and yelled how insensitive he was. I wanted to snap. I almost did. I calmed myself down and tried to focus on something else. After all, he didn't know the details of my life. And I'm sure I wasn't the only one he stirred with his word usage and emotion. Maybe I should have said something. Maybe I should have asked for clarification. Maybe I should have told him that suicide is the most selfish thing a person can do (sacrifice being the most selfless) and Christianity is about putting others first and dying (figeratively) to the self. Thoughts?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You are a better person than I Becca, I probably would have started a not so quiet argument. I'm sorry you had to hear that, especially after what happened two weeks ago. It's sad to think that there are people that are that ignorant and insensitive.

Kendrew said...

I agree, you are definitely better than I would be about something like that especially considering the circumstances so I applaud your self control. We live in a country that gives us free speech, but people forget that we don't live in a country where we should ever feel free to insult someone or not consider other feelings. People have truly people so selfish nowadays. Suicide as horrible as it is, is a very selfish act, not considering the family and friends you leave behind in mourning... or to completely forget that Christ died for our sins. Anyway, that's my thoughts.